To request a Panel, write to Planning Panels Victoria (PPV) which has delegated authority from the Minister for Planning to appoint a Panel. If required, PPV can supply an example of a letter to assist you.
How to make a Panel Request
When requesting a Panel, please:
- summarise the nature of the proposal
- identify any Applicant or Proponent if not the Council
- indicate the number of submissions received
- identify who the submissions are from (i.e. various groups/individuals)
- identify the key issues raised in the submissions
- identify the likely dates required for the Directions Hearing and Public Hearing, and how many days may be required.
Where appropriate, we ask that provide the following information (hard copy and electronically):
- Council report resolving to exhibit the amendment
- Council report resolving to request a Panel
- the exhibited planning scheme amendment
- all submissions received (including public agencies)
- a full copy of the EES (if applicable)
- the planning permit application and exhibited permit (if applicable)
- a full set a plans
- any other supporting documents exhibited with the amendment
- any relevant Council officer reports
- a mailing list to be used for communicating with submitters, including Council contact and proponent (template on CD provided)
- relevant extracts of the Local Planning Policy Framework including the MSS, local planning policies and other relevant extracts from the planning scheme (eg schedules to zones or overlays)
- other relevant strategic material.
It is important to ensure that all documentation provided is properly ordered, well labelled and easily retrievable. Please also ensure that you send one set for each Panel member; for example, if it is a three-person Panel, three sets should be supplied.
Advise the Panel (or Panel Chair in the case of multi-member Panel) through PPV:
- any matters which should be raised at the Directions Hearing
- dates for Directions Hearing and Panel Hearing venue
- any special needs of the Panel.
In consultation with PPV, book a venue for the Hearing.
The Panel Co-ordinator will send the Directions Hearing notification letter to the parties, and will record and send returned ‘Request to be Heard forms’ to the Panel Chair prior to the Directions Hearing.
Copies of completed ‘Request to be Heard forms’ will not be provided to the Planning Authority or other parties.
Before the Hearing:
- Discuss with the PPV on behalf of the Panel how the Hearing venue should be set up, and what facilities and equipment will be required.
During the Hearing:
- Ensure that any equipment (eg data projector) requested by the parties involved is available.
It is the role of the PPV Panel Coordinator to send all people who are listed to be heard:
- the letter setting out any Directions made
- the accompanying Hearing timetable
- the PPV Guide to Expert Evidence.
Page last updated: 29/04/21